Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New awareness

Last night I had a long talk with myself and my wife. I think I was finally able to put my finger on some things and explain how I'm feeling about the race this year. I was trying to figure out what I could do differently to prepare this year and I really don't think there is anything. Fitness hasn't been the issue for me. It's not a question of IF the dark moments are going to come but WHEN. Now that I've seen them tenfold I guess my different preparation needs to be how to address them when they do present themselves b/c I simply can't ride, visualize, or meditate more than I do. I can't afford to make knee jerk decisions. I've always been able to think clearly in times of stress or when weather is an issue. I have to be able to do the same when I'm tired, thirsty, or hungry. I also have to always remember what happens to my body and head when I do get dehydrated or when I don't keep the calories coming in. The other thing that I am going to do differently this year is have several rewards along the way that will remain buried in the pack until they've been earned. One of those will come at the end of that first day if I can get to where I want to be. Another one will for sure come out after the dreaded Sargents Mesa. There's gonna have to be a big one after the exposed high altitude sections in 22 and 23. I feel much better this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you got it down Chris. imo it's never been a matter of your toughness but maybe one of insight

It’s different for everyone, & seems like you might have found yours

For me that personal insight came yrs ago on the RTP route when I was on my knees and tossing my cookies in the weeds. I had every reason/excuse to quit but suddenly realized I had no real reason I ‘must’ quit.

It was an extremely liberating concept.

Ohio Robb said...

this season's been all about finding dark places. I'm not as fit this year because of a lot of reasons, but that makes the dark moments come on more. in a span of 7 weeks i did two 12 hour races, and the DK200, all of which put me in places i thought i wouldn't want to go back to, but week after week the psychological lows got more predictable and familiar. Good luck this year at CTR, I can't make it due to timing, but may take a week of vacation and find myself in Salida in early fall.