Friday, June 18, 2010

Epic Designs

This morning I got my new gas tank bag from Eric. If you're looking for custom bags, look no further than Epic Designs Alaska. Eric was a pleasure to work with. I sent him the loot and told him what I was looking for. He told me about how far out he was and he was spot on. The bag showed up as discussed. He really turns out nice stuff.

I'll use this bag to hold bars, GU, and the kind of stuff I need to access quickly. It'll be nice to get that weight off my back as it adds up quickly. I'm a bit worried to see what the final pack out weight of the bike is going to be but I think it's a good trade off as food is a really important part of my strategy this year.

While I'm down in the Springs having another tooth drilled out, I'll stop in to a few shops and see what they have in the way of 29er UST tires and see if I can't get those. If I can find something that looks like it'll fit the bill, then I'll probably start building up the bike this weekend. Super excited to get it done and get in some overnighters. I woke up last night at one point from tooth pain and started to question my sleeping setup. Within an hour I had totally changed it again but I don't wanna make any kneejerk decisions until I can get some solid testing time in so that's on the agenda for next week.

In other news, the Denver Waterboard made an announcement yesterday where they said that Waterton Canyon will close on August 2 for a 13 month (I think) period. I don't really care how long it's closed for but the fact that it's gonna be closed the morning of the race is a bit of an iussue. So now the debate is on as to how to deal with this. We could start a day earlier on Sunday but I imagine that parking will be a big issue if everyone knows it's getting shut down the next day. The best option in my mind is to start from the Indian Creek Trailhead which is off highway 67. This goes for 6 or so miles before intersecting the CT. My biggest worry with this is that it's singletrack straight away and traffic is gonna be a big issue. The 6 miles of fire road in Waterton Canyon is perfect for getting things strung out and not having the start be such a clusterfluck. We'll see how Stefan wants to run things.


No comments: