Wednesday, March 4, 2009

State Assessments

I try to refrain from talking about work here but state testing begins on Monday. During the last 4 weeks as I walk into classrooms to check on my students and help them out and help the teachers out, all that's been talked about is the test. I really don't like the test. I understand the need for it but it really stresses a lot of students out and I really feel that it takes away from a lot of the creativity and spontaneity that initially attracted me to the field of education. Teachers are so busy with trying to cover what is going to be on the state assessment and there is little time for anything else. Today's students are so much different than in years past. It absolutely breaks my heart when I hear a student in a class that asks a question that is kind of on topic (maybe slightly off) with what's being discussed and the teacher says they don't have time to go into it. Students ask the question only because they're interested. We learn by associating new information with prior knowledge. If we don't allow/encourage our students to become interested in the curriculum, we're in danger of them tuning out and, eventually, checking out. The testing week is the worst week of the ear for me. My students ask me for help and all I can say is, "Would you like me to repeat the question?"

No comments: