Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm Ron Burgundy?

I've decided to refer to the van as "Ron". As in Ron Burgundy. I did not drive it today as I have some concerns with regard to oil pressure at idle. These motors just don't make much pressure at idle and the dynamic monitoring system lights up the idiot light if the pressure at idle drops below 7 psi. My light came on yesterday on the drive home. This could be any number of things (bad sending unit, old oil, low on oil, shotty filter, bad pump, stretched rod bolts, or even worn rod bearings). I decided to start with the least expensive stuff. I noticed that the PO took it to the Grease Monkey to have the oil changed 5,000 miles ago. I'm hoping that the oil that's in there is just not cuttin' it anymore. It's also about 1/2 quart low and since these motors don't use much erl anyways...it's certainly not helping matters. I'm sure their filter is worthless. So I have a good quality Mann filter on the way from the fine volks at the Van Cafe. I also ordered a new low pressure sending unit. I'll change the oil and see how it does. I think I'm on the right track. When the light does come on, the idle is fine and I can almost look at the gas pedal and that's enough to make the light go out. Bad filter, old oil, and low on oil could certainly cause this.

Heather thought I'd be really mad about this but I'm not mad at all. I really enjoyed my Jeep but it's so good to get back into a VW. I'm riding again. I own a dub again. My buddy Dave used to say that the German cars have a soul.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Hey Chris,

been following your quest to find a van - congrats, looks like you found a real diamond in the rough there.

That would be a blast to own, Just too bad it's a "wasserpumper" ;-) I'm more a fan of the air-cooled era. I have my own vintage German project and couldn't agree more about the soul comment.

1984 911 Carrera 3.2L, 165k miles and nobody's turned a wrench on her but me since 2004, the only way I can afford her. Pretty cheap to buy, can be pricey to (pay someone to) maintain.

Someday, I'll make that killer barn find and buy a bug and/or bus to restore with my son.

PS: Keep Bodhi out of there. No telling what evil plans he would have in store for the interior!

Chris said...

I don't know if it's a diamond but it's for sure rough Craig.

I've not owned anything air-cooled and was a little nervous about getting into one just out of ignorance. Although, this motor is completely new to me. It's pretty darn interesting. I thought only air-cooled motors had the tin on them? Not sure what the purpose for them is. I suppose it's just protection or to serve as a heat shield of sorts. The miles of coolant hose in this thing is silly.

Super nice 911 man!! Send more pics of the motor and interior please if ya got em.

Cool to see someone else that appreiates German cars checking in here. Thanks.

Bodhi is a tool.