Sunday, March 15, 2009

Family

I've never had a good relationship with my family. I haven't seen my mother or father in about 15 years now and have no desire to speak or hear from either of them. The woman who brought me into this world has made the occasional call but I can count them on less than one hand and it's generally when she needs something or wants to lay down a guilt trip. One of the things that I was really excited about when Heather and I decided to get married was that I would then have my own family. Essentially, we did before all our friends gathered and made it official but now it IS official.

One of the things that I secretly wondered a lot about was what to address Heather's mother and father as. Do I call them by their first name? Do I just say, "Hey?" Do I dare call them mom and dad? So it's been 7 months or so now since the wedding and I haven't ever talked about this dilemma even with Heather. They sent me a card for my birthday in January. Heather's mom made it out and she signed it........"Love, Mom." I looked at that word for days. It seemed very strange and I hadn't seen it on anything that was sent to me in a very long time. It made me so happy. I called her and "Dad" right away and thanked them so much for truly accepting me into their family.

We got a call yesterday, late morning, from Dad. Mom had a heart attack while he was at a knife show and he came home to find her on the floor. Paramedics were able to revive her but her heart stopped several more times on the way to the hospital. She passed away shortly after getting to the emergency room. Obviously, Heather's going through something entirely different than me but I definitely feel some anger.

Dad's still fighting against the cancer so he's gonna need his strength and this can't be helping. Hang in there buddy.

Rest in Peace.............Mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris and Heather: I'm sorry. I have lost a parent. If there is anything Marshal and I can do to help please let us know.

Sharon

Craig said...

Chris,

Even though we're not old friends, you know I'm a regular lurker on your blog. I thought it would be appropriate to pass along my sympathies to you, Heather and her father.

Sorry for your loss.

Craig

Dan Schmatz said...

I am so sorry for you pain.

Chris said...

Sharon....thanks so much.

Craig....super nice of you. What's goin' on with the 911?

Dan....are you sorry for the pain, dizziness, and nausea I feel when doing your prescribed intervals? Kitchen looks sweet by the way. No wonder you've been MIA.

Thanks for all the nice emails and phone calls everyone.