Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Road trip

It's been stupid crazy at work these past few weeks what with the state assessments. People are on edge (including me) and it's been a bit stressful. Heather and I were planning on parking the Van at one of the many secluded locations along the South Platte River for a few days and seeing how it feels to not sleep in a tent but we are now figuring out when we will head to St. Louis for the funeral. I also have to figure out what to do with the beasts while we're gone. My brother from another mother (Adam 12) and his beautiful family are allowing us (once again) to stay in our apartment in the basement (complete with pool table, Blues hockey memorabilia, and all Adam's trophies from running the violently fast VW drag car.....it's now in the low 10's!!!!). So we'll be basing out of St. Chuck and be making frequent trips to the North Side to check on Dad.

If we were taking the Van, I'd consider taking both pups but it'd be chaos in the Cherokee and less stressful without them (although I really wish Dharma could pay her respects to Mom). Bodhi never met her. No matter how many times we told Mom Dharma's name, she always called her Norma. So our co-worker and neighbor (Peggy G) said that she'll look after the mutts. She's watched Dharma before but not Bodhi and I don't want to ruin any future opportunities to watch the dogs b/c of Bodhi's shenanigans. One of my parents (students parents) works at a shelter up in the next town and I'm thinking of asking her if I can drop him off there for the week so he can ruin her office (if you're reading this.....I'm calling soon). After that's all sorted then I'll have to look over the Jeep and make sure it's ready to get us through Kansas and not strand us there like the one time I decided to stretch a tank of gas a bit too far just west of Salida at 2 a.m. We ended up sleeping on the side of some dark country road waiting for the AAA to get there with a few gallons of gas. We can't pass that exit without Heather heckling me like Don Rikkles.

That's all I got for now.

No comments: