Sunday, March 8, 2009

The glory be mine

I scored this Vanagon today and I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. This is exactly the one I wanted. It's a 1988 Weekender with 159,000 on it. It looks like a flying brick. Heather is not sure what to think. She digs it and can't wait to go camping but she just expected me to want something a little quicker. There's just nothing else out there right now that I thought would be as fun to have. The lady I bought it from has had it for 10 years but she didn't know how to fold the seats down into a bed. She said she had slept in the very back, on the back seat and even on the floor!! I showed her how to do it and we all had a laugh. It does leak a little oil which is usually an issue for my OCD. It does not leak any coolant from the heads though so that's a big plus and the temp stays nice and steady and where it should on the gauge. The body is in good shape but the roof is hatin' life. Luckily I only see that when I'm out on the deck.

Those crazy Germans are pretty darn smart when it comes to vehicle engineering. There are so many cool features in the Vanagon. The oil filler, dipstick and coolant are hidden behind the rear license plate. The oil filler is actually a tube within a tube so it extends out and makes filling easier. The battery is under the passenger seat. You can sit in the rear jump seat with your elbow out the window, facing the rear, and doing stuff with the laptop while someone is cruising down the highway. It's gonna clean up real nice. We're gonna rent a steam cleaner this weekend and clean it real good and then we're gonna head out for a little r&r over spring break. Before it's road worthy though, I need to do the front brakes (they are horribly warped) and there's something going on with the gas tank. With a full tank, it spews gas on hard turns. Hoping it's a simple fix like a vent line but I gotta get under it and see.



It's like driving a big rig. The steering wheel is HUGE!


Those jump seats come out in seconds and I could haul at least a washer, dryer and maybe even a fridge.


I hate bras. Car bras. They usually just create damage underneath. This one had seen better days but it was covering up the Wolfsberg badges so it had to go. This van is definitely going to need some love but I think it's gonna be super fun. I picked it up for $3800.

2 comments:

Pedal Brake Pedal by TK said...

when are you coming through st. louis to pick deanna and i up??

Chris said...

That'd be cool right?

I've got some cool plans for this thing. A trip to St. Louis would be sweet. However, we'd have to stop by Booger's and see if he has any 2.5's laying around that we could throw in it.