Saturday, January 8, 2011

Workouts

A while back I was talking with our varsity football coach about lifting weights and he was showing me some stuff he thought would be helpful. I was very skeptical. I assumed he didn't know what he was talking about and was going to have me doing stuff that would turn me into a linebacker. I hated some of the stuff he wanted me to do right away but after 2 months I love them. My weights have gone through the roof now and we sat down last week to talk more. He's changed things up for this past week. Again, I was skeptical but thought I'd try it because the lover of football has made some really surprising connections to cycling specific workouts. Turns out...I was the meathead. Won't be the last time. This week he had me cut back on the weights and start selecting fewer exercises each day but doing 3 sets of 20 reps for each. It was much harder than I thought it would be but I think it makes sense from an endurance point. This week I'll go to 4 sets of 20 and then 5 sets of 20 before we sit down and talk again. The rest of the days in the week are spent just doing easy spins outside or on the trainer to flush out my legs. I love being in the weight room.

No comments: