Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's May?

As I laid in the futon last night trying to get to sleep (no...I am not in trouble...Heather has been sick all week and I can't sleep at all with the coughing and sniffling) I thought about bicycles a bit right after I got done thinking about large fish. Last year at this time I had a ton of miles in. This year....not so much. I appear to be having a little difficulty getting motivated right now. The Alma is covered in mud from the last overnighter I did with Marshal. I should probably do something about that. I didn't think it was possible but the wind this year appears to be even more robust than last year (and I typed that as the plastic Adirondack chairs slid across the deck). The cold weather is certainly not helping me either (light snow yesterday morning). I am so sick of having to suit up in knee warmers and fleece, and a hat just to get a ride in. I want to race in August and it's definitely not that I'm taking things lightly or any sign of a lack of respect. Perhaps I'm a little disgruntled that this is attempt #3 with no finish to show for it (but certainly many many fond memories and an entirely new outlook on life which is probably more important but still...a horse pill for a competitive guy to swallow). This will be the last one I think (for several reasons). I actually know what the reason is but don't wanna talk about it (for fear that it will create some drama for Heather and me). It's nothing like marital problems (we're doing wonderfully aside from the coughing and futon). I'm sure some of you have an idear and others will know when we get together for beers in about a month when we roll into the STL.

In other news I drove the van out to 11 Mile Reservoir last night and threw some big spoons but I still think it's a bit early for the large Pike to be coming in to the shallows. I spent a good amount of time sitting in the van with the sliding door open and watching the sun go down over the Divide (brings back good memories with a guide buddy of mine named Jack...a crazy dude who actually attended culinary school and served as the chef for the Grateful Dead while they were on the road). Jack's got stories and they are good. I drove over to the lower spillway on the Dream Stream and there was not 1 vehicle in the lot. Pretty rare. It was good to drive the Vanagon......again. A lifter had bled down from sitting over the winter and was making an awful racket. The drive was just what it needed to get pumped up again and now it's quiet. I've had at least 20 inquiries on the van and one guy from Cascade (which is just 8 miles or so down the mountain) wants to come check it out tonight so that's pretty cool. He's got a 71 Westy as well. He sounds like a cool guy. I want someone nice to get Ron B.


No comments: