Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I took my Carousel front bag and decided to add a pocket on the front of it. I really hate having stuff haphazardly mounted to the bars and the SPOT has always bothered me with it's location. So I went down to the fabric store and got some supplies and then started in on it. About 30 minutes later I had given up. So...I asked my wonderful co-worker Evelyn if she would help me and she did. She took the stuff home and used her machine to make the pocket. The next day I spent hours hand sewing it on to the bag. The stitches aren't gonna win me any ribbons at the county fair but I think it's gonna hold. When I was done, Evelyn looked at it and said, "You sewed the pocket on backwards." Sure enough...all of the beautiful taping she had put on was now on the inside of the pocket. I'm not quitting my day job.


I also found this on the door step when I got home today. I'm pretty excited about this. I can spend hours looking at maps and this is even better. I am using software called Topofusion that Scott Morris created. Scott is an active bikepacker himself and really knows what features are necessary. I've just been playing around with things for a few hours tonight but I think it's really gonna make riding/exploring fun this summer. You can check out his stuff at www.topofusion.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that the new sopt? the old ones need to be 'flat' to have the best transmission angle for the uplink. Not sure about the new units

Chris said...

No...I missed the new one by a few weeks. I'm going to see if it works in this location and go from there. If it's a problem then I might try and do the same type of pocket on top of the saddle bag. I hear people that do that are faster??