Monday, May 3, 2010

Back and forth

I really hate trying to get motivated for a task at hand when I'm spending a portion of my time thinking about something else. Lately I've been thinking a lot about the Tour Divide. I've also been thinking an awful lot about big ass Pike too. The romantic side of me would love to have a unique bike to do something that special on. Sometimes I think I chose the wrong career. My old Vanagon puts a smile on my face even when it leaves me stranded. Deep down I know money can't buy hapiness. While Colorado is beautiful, the relocation here was stressful and continues to present challenges, professionally speaking, that end up with both of us plotting a way to get back home soon. Oh...I should mention that, unike the last time I talked about cool frames, I am not on Vicodin. Anyways...I don't NEED a unique and certainly not a custom frame for something like TD but it would increase the cool factor. Today I got a really nice email from Dave over at Victoria cycles. The more I look at his art, the more excited I get about something as epic as TD. I know it's a long way off and I worry that not giving the CTR the respect and time it deserves will potentially haunt me later on but it's hard.

This is a 650 bike that was recently featured in the new Moutnain Flyer. I have not seen this magazine back in the midwest (except for the one that's on the toilet tank back at that one bike shop in Chesterfield). Do yourself a favor and go to their site at www.mountainflyer.com and check it out. It's different. This frame is a lot like the baby blue one I originally took a liking too.

The dropouts are horizontal on this one but they're unique and still look the mutts nutts.

Heather likes this bike but I was more interested in the lug work. The wooden fenders aren't ugly either.





This is another one that I keep going back to since I first saw it a few weeks ago. This was on display at the San Diego Bike Show but I had no idea it was a 650 bike. I love my 29er and don't know that I'd really consider checking out a 650. Probably be cool to ride and feel the difference though. This would be a really fun bike in either SS or fixed form for a coffee shop/pub crawl bike. I actually like the curved seat stays here but the larger area on the blue or maroon bike is more practical for an Epic Designs bag.
I know I could probably call any frame builder and get exactly what I want but, for me, there's an immediate draw to this company.

No comments: