Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Vantastic

The good news is it looks like I found a guy that's willing to trade me a pretty clean 85 GL. He's up near Pocatello, Idaho. I'll get more pics/video of the motor and interior tomorrow. The bad news is that I may pass on this one. The GL is just a straight up van and I really want a Weekender edition at the very least.
Heather was not too happy about me looking for a Vanagon in the first place. However...she has suddenly warmed up to the idea (that's not the same as giving in...she said so). With our lifestyle, I think the Vanagon has a lot of positives to it. The Jeep has been good but it's just more than we need and camping would be really fun in the van and it'd be nice to have the extra room as Bodhi is gonna take up some space. I realize that getting an older vehicle is a bit of a gamble. I guess I'm looking at it like I know that and that even a new vehicle can have issues (albeit not as likely).
There are so many great places to camp up here that it would be nice to be able to just get in and go. I think we'd go a lot more too if everything was already pretty much loaded for an overnighter or long weekend. We're close to that now with my Jeep but we still have to get everything out of the camping corner of the garage and then there's barely room for Dharma. Sometimes I put stuff on the roof but it's a problem when those afternoon storms pop up in the summer.

No comments: