Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ruh Roh

We usually walk the dogs every evening. Tonight we were on our walk and we're coming down 24. For those that aren't in town and haven't been here: 24 is the only artery that runs through town. It's 4 lanes and in the evenings it's quite busy with everyone coming back from working in the Springs. We're on the sidewalk and walking against traffic when Bodhi's collar breaks (it's a metal prong collar and it looks like 2 of the prongs separated) and he's off like a prom dress. It was right in front of Sonic and, while their food is subpar, they have great grass that the pups love to roll around in. Luckily, he ran around in said grass but I freaked as cars were cruising by at 35. He would dash to the edge of the sidewalk, inches from traffic and I'd scream and then he'd bound back into the grass. At one point I dove but just missed. Next, Heather dove and.....not so much. As frantic as I was about him getting hit, I tried to fake being nice and get him to come to me but he wasn't havin' it. This lasted for at least 5 minutes. It was probably very entertaining for the people stuffing greasy burgers down their trap. Fortunately, one generous soul got out of her car in the drive thru and brought something (I think it was french fries) and the fat man came a runnin' right to her. She got hold of him as he wolfed down food. Not sure what to think about the collar. I've used the same style of collar on Dharma for 7 years now and never had any issue. Her's is actually difficult to get on if you don't know what you're doing. Thankfully, Bodhi is not a dark spot on the road. Instead...he just got done eating potting soil and now he's on the couch farting.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Chris, I've been lurking on your blog now since before the CT race last year. I introduced myself to you at the starting line at Burnin' 2008 (and misdirected you about the run direction!). We have mutual friends in Tim and Ethan.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your antics with that dog crack me up. I've owned several dogs that were "challenging", but Bodhi tops them, no contest. Write a book and make a movie about him (a la Marley)

I was having a shitty workday and that's the first time I smiled or laughed today.

Thanks for the perspective.

Chris said...

Hey Craig! I definitely remember meeting you at Burnin'.

Bodhi is a a huge pain but he does provide me with a lot of entertainment. It's hard to be mad at him. I was hoping someone else would find humor in him.