Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Misses and I put both mutts on lockdown (in their kennels) and we took off yesterday to run some errands. On the way back and just off I25, there is a junkyard that I always look down on when I'm driving by. They have some really nostalgic stuff in there. It's not like a junkyard in the true sense. You're not gonna see creatures of all types lurking around it and pulling parts like vultures on the hunt. This appears to be more of a museum (in my mind) and probably only allows certain folks in. We ventured into the city and found it and we got out and looked around through the fences. Heather and I are both very fond of the classic vehicles. While I generally am more attracted to the older Chevy's and the Euro stuff (mainly German...Audi, Porsche, and VW...with some BMW stuff), Heather's more of a Ford girl with the ocassional Mercury thrown in but for sure, All-American. I had to deal with no less than half a dozen homeless guys to get these pictures for you. A few of them were nice (as is the case with most of mankind) and a few were really put off by the fact that I didn't have anything to provide them with. Enjoy the pics and know that......nothing went down in order to get them.

This is an older Ford. It's a 2 door business coupe. Years ago, my wife purchased one of these and it was driven to her garage in St. Louis for her to work on/learn on as a hobby. I'm not sure if she had anymore tools than a pair of Vice-Grips and possibly a bent screwdriver but she was determined. I never saw it but I think it needed some TLC. I do recall that it was a 6 volt and was gonna need a swap to 12 to make it practical. Sadly...it moved on to another owner.


I'm a fan of the older trucks. This is late 40's?? Maybe early 50's?? I love the wrap around glass.


This truck was similar in age to the white one but in much better shape. The pin striping is killer.


Love the white walls. My buddy Gunnar has one about this age that he picked up down in Mexico last year to build for his wife. He did some work on the suspension and stuffed a 350 TPI motor into it. It scotts along pretty well and is probably a true sleeper.


You can just make out the Tbird in the background. We're going back tomorrow to see if they'll let us walk around for a while. It's amazing to me that these cars are as old as they are and that they're in such decent shape. The metal back then was so thick. I think one of these trucks probably weighed in at just about 4500 lbs. back then. Very cool.

No comments: