Friday, February 6, 2009

It's been pretty darn nice in the afternoons up here this week so I've been riding my bike to work. It's still been in tle low 20's in the morning but my ride is so short and it's so nice to not drive the big Jeep. I continue to struggle with my XT disc brakes. On the colder mornings they just freeze up right when you hit them ang the pistons don't retract. I have to take them apart and work on them and then they're good to go until the next morning. I've given some thought to going with mechanical discs this year but I think I wanna try Avid's hydraulics first. I really like the way the hydros feel.

I'm heading to Leadville tomorrow night for the second race in their winter series. Tomorrow we are supposed to be racing on nordic ski trails at night and it should be fun. I am not going to race the Orbea tomorrow b/c of the issues I'm having with the brakes. It's hard enough riding in the snow and I just don't need any more resistance. I built up my SS 26er with gears again and am going to be riding that. This week has been the first time I've ridden a 26er in probably a year.

I've been training way too hard and I'm overcooked. Apparently I can't train like I did when I was 25. Things were going captain crazy well a few weeks ago and then suddenly they came halting to a stop. I haven't done anything for the majority of the week. Tomorrow night I'll either be recovered and things will go well or I'll blow sky high. We'll see. This is the first time I've trained for XC type fitness in almost what? 8 years? Things were really coming around quickly and I decided that if 2 workouts a week were producing then surely 3 would do even more. Rookie move. It's kinda fun to be getting back into the mentality that I want to ride as aggressively as I used to. Only now...there's no anger and I think it's gonna actually allow me to be even tougher despite being older.

1 comment:

Mitch the Masher said...

Chris,

If you get new brakes, you should try out the Hayes Strokers. Stay away from the "Ryde", they are the bastard child. I've been riding the "Trails" and love them. I've done many a single digit ride and they've performed great. Cost just a little more than Juicy 7's. The rotors are thicker and less likely to distort or bend. They have a lighter weight version with carbon levers and an even lighter version with less material and Ti bolts.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/product_hyd_strokerTrail.shtml

Kind of a bummer if you are using the STI shifters.

Hoping to make a trip out west this summer, not sure when though.

I would love to race in the snow. It's only happened a few times and it was cool!