Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tennessee Night Jam

Race #2 in the Leadville series was last night at Ski Cooper on the killer nordic trails. The course was supposed to be about 10 miles. The conditions were excellent. The snow was much more hard packed but there were still some soft areas that made riding difficult. I think it was in the low 20's when we started.

I thought the start went well. It was quite obvious to me that I am still suffering from training like a 13 year old these last 2 weeks. I want to be fast again but I've been training harder than I did when I was racing in my 20's and it's having a lot of negative impact. I had not been on a bike since my botched workout on Wednesday night (where I finally summarized that doing my hard workouts every other day had done so much damage).

About halfway through the race I got the worst cramp I've ever had. It was down near my appendix and it hurt to pedal and it hurt to breathe. I tried to deal with it but I ended up having to get off and walk on a flat road. It went away and I started riding again but it came although not quite as bad this time.

The finish last night was pretty much tailor made for me and I felt super both times we went up it. Longer gradual climb on pavement. When I hit that I could see 4-6 riders strung out in front of me and I picked off 2 of them but I'm not happy at all that I let the others have a pass. I did not sleep well last night. I'm not mad. I still had a really good time despite the cramp and the cold. I'm just disappointed in myself. I'm really gonna be bummed if it equals a result out of the top 10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled on your blog...need a partner for the Golf Course race this Saturday? I'm looking for a partner...throw me an e-mail and we can discuss if you are interested. teleskierinco@msn.com