Friday, January 30, 2009

Mountain lion



So the word on the street is that there's been a mountain lion spotted numerous times around town here. I've been keeping my eyes on full alert but I know the odds of a visual are not in my favor. I would give up all the hair on my head to see one under the right circumstances but I know people that spend just as much time in the outdoors as I do and have lived in kitty country all their lives and never seen one. Although...I don't trust that logic all too much. I know one of those same people that had never seen a bear until recently and I actually think I see a decent number of those each year.


If I could work for the department of wildlife and be gauranteed a solid job with about as much pay as I get as a teacher, it'd be damned tempting to quit. I'm fascinated with wildlife. We see more bear activity in the city during those times when they are hungrier (spring and fall). The rest of the time, they generally stay away from the city (unless they're eating shrimp and oysters from my neighbors front lawn???!!!). There are cats around here all the time. Yet, we don't generally see them. The deer population (main food source) has not declined. What causes a cat to roam into town...during the day...routinely? What's the change that causes that? This picture is from a trail camera used by hunters that are scouting an area and want to get an idea of what kind of traffic is moving through the area at night. It's pretty cool.

No comments: