Thursday, June 2, 2011

My little buddy

Heather and I stopped by the Vet's office to check on my buddy yesterday. Here he is in all of his glory. He is actually a Long Eared Owl and he is an adult. He is also extremely feisty. No shortage of sass in this guy. He wasn't real happy to see people and that's why his right wing is out. His left one is all bandaged up. The good news is that he appears to be doing well. He's eating very well (3 and 4 mice a day). The bandage will come off in about 2 weeks and then they'll x-ray the wing again to see if it's healed up correctly. The bad news is that one of the bones that was broken is very small. If that doesn't heal up properly, then he likely will not be able to fly again. So...if that's the case then there's 2 options. One would be take him to an educational place where people could see him and he'd be cared for. The issue with that is that he is very cranky. He tries to bite and scratch any chance he gets and so it would be tough to find a place that would take him on. The other option would be to euthanize him. So I'm hoping that the bone heals up and he can be released into the wild. At the risk of sounding selfish, I really want to see him set free again and it doesn't hurt that I get to go along and release him. I continue to be astounded by the beauty of this animal. The Blackberry picture does not do him any sort of justice.

I have named him Hooter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope this works out, the whole thing speaks well about you