Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Not the best of luck

Yesterday I got back on the bike for a little ride after a complete week off it and felt really good. My legs feel good but, more importantly, my head feels good. I spent last week doing tourist things with our friends from out of town and some fishing too and hardly thought about the Colorado Trail Race but did a lot of thinking about what I'm going to get to see again this year along the way.

I've been battling 2 pretty stubborn saddle sores. One is healed up and gone and this morning the other one was bad enough to justify a trip to the doctor and now I'm hoping the anti-biotics will be able to do their thing before I'm supposed to leave. I really don't wanna go into any more detail and you're welcome. I will say that it's not much fun going to the doctor for this. It's not like a car where they can put you up on a lift and have a look at the old undercarriage. There's no pretty way to gain access to THAT area but to lay down and lift a leg. And I'm not very flexible so not only was it NOT a pretty picture but there was also a fair bit of early morning groaning on my part. I've been racing bikes a long time and I've never had anything like this. I blame Marshal Bird. I will not be riding this week either.

Funny story though...I'm telling the doctor about this and then he finally asks, "So where is this sore at?" Ya gotta be kidding me right? It's on my friggin' elbow. IT"S ON MY ASS, DUDE!!! Then he's like, "Well I suppose we should take a look at it." Sorry to inconvenience you. It's not as if I was chompin' at the bit to come up here and drop trow in front of you and show you the most secluded spots of my nether regions. To top it all off there was a medical student shadowing this doctor and he was also in the room. I'm like, "Get ready dude...you haven't seen what's coming in any textbook."

So because I did not really want to sit on my rear today I decided to go and play in the garage. The layout of the garage is not really conducive to riding the trainer anymore and I wanted to address that. IF I decide to do a different ride next year I MAY need to spend quite a bit of time on the trainer this winter and I'll need things to be comfortable for the longer rides. So I did some re-arranging. It's basically back to how it was before I ever got the Vanagon.



2 comments:

Kurt said...

Good luck on the CT, man! Hopefully those sores disappear in time. The forced week off the bike is probably going to be a great for your legs, anyway.

Dan Schmatz said...

I can help you with your ass. Yes that sounds weird but I can.