Thursday, July 8, 2010

Close encounters

Heather and I went over to my buddy Marshal's house last night to spend some time hearing some of his Tour Divide stories and watching him eat. His wife had a cake with a really cool picture on it from his race. I didn't wanna show up empty handed so I brought him a chocolate milk and 2 moon pies which didn't last very long. Before we took off he started asking if I was ready for August 2. He then offered up a lot of encouraging advice for me and gave me a nice pep talk.

Today was another step in the right direction for me. We were supposed to get some nasty storms in the afternoon and the recent ones we've had have not been the typical afternoon Colorado storms that last an hour or two. So...I wanted to get moving early so I was out the door at 0815. I headed out to Florissant to start the day. The first 4 hours were pretty nice but they were filled with some close calls with trucks. Normally I am VERY patient with motorists but the straw that broke the camel's back was the guy that ran the stop sign and almost made me his hood ornament. I haven't cursed and yelled like that in years. Thankfully there was a perfect way out for me as it was not a normal intersection. I am very glad that the guy did not stop because I know I would have done something stupid. Two other cars stopped to ask if I was ok. For a few seconds I contemplated giving chase but I knew the adrenaline wouldn't last longer than 100 yards so I just collected myself.

Then the storm caught up with me. I spent the last hour in the cold, wet rain and more hail. I ended up with 95 miles for the day in 6 hours. I feel very good after my little nap. These are some pics I just took of the Peak. It got quite a bit of snow while I was under the blankets but I don't know if they do any justice.



No comments: