Sunday, September 21, 2008

night riding

I didn't too much night riding when I was on the CT just because I was up and moving by 4:30 or 5 a.m. and usually rode until it got dark and then I was ready to crash out for the night. I guess the only exception was when I took longer stops in Leadville for beers and grocery shopping seemed to take forever in BV. I tried to make up for the slack time at least a bit. I guess my longest night was when I rode until about 11:30ish after being lost for a bit and riding with piss and vinegar. I did a 2 hour ride tonight. I started right at dusk and rode until about 8:30. I must have seen half a dozen foxes (animals not hotties). One was sans tail and at first glance I thought I might have lucked out and seen a bobcat. I stopped just as it was getting dark to watch this one in a field. He looked like he was up to something. After about 2 minutes I saw him leap up in the air about 3 feet and then come down mouth first. He scored some kind of small rodent. Pretty cool show. I also coulda sworn there was a bear in the trail as I rounded a bend. I stopped and put my light on the object. It was about 30 yards from me. It turned out to be a cranky black dog. I almost wish it had been a bear. They usually just turn and run. The dog came at me and I thought I was gonna have to bludgeon it with the Alma but he finally came to his senses.

No comments: