Tuesday, September 2, 2008

the latest

For the first time, I'm back at work and actually quite happy about it. I have a super group of students to work with each day and it's them that makes me want to climb out of bed each morning. I just got back from Gateway Cup in St. Louis. It was 4 days of criteriums. The laps were fast and the temps were high. Thanks to Adam and his family for letting Heather and I stay there.

As soon as we got to their house I found out the unfortunate news that Morgan (their 3 year old) was mad at me. Apparently she thought I was laughing at her when they visited in Colorado over the summer. She was not happy about me being there. So I spent the first 15 minutes in her room trying to get her to speak to me while she sulked and flipped through a magazine. She is such a doll and, luckily, she forgave me and we went for pizza.

It was great to see my friend TK and his family and spend some time with another old friend...Dan. Dan's son Samuel and his wife Myriam made the flight to St. Louis and it was super to meet them. I think Samuel looks exactly like Dan. I remember doing sprints with Dan one night on the road into Castlewood. His sprint was insane back then and it's even more stupid now. It's pretty darn impressive what the guy has done in his cycling career. He's a good guy and just another person that I'm proud to call my friend.

Training for the CTR is completely different than training for crits or even xc mtb races. Right now I have no clue what I want to do next year. I don't think I can do both disciplines well. All I know is that, for the first time in a long time, I smile when riding my bikes again. That's a good thing.

2 comments:

Pedal Brake Pedal by TK said...

you rocked at the gateway cup! go ghisallo!!

Chris said...

You sir, are too kind. I do think I might have faired better if each crit would have been 8 hours long though.