Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I hate titles

I got in about a 3 hour night ride tonight to try out the new Dinotte lights. I had one on the bar and the other on the helmet. I really don't like having a light on the helmet. It's super light but there's something I just don't like about it. The vents in my Bell Sweep dont allow the light to be angled far enough back (for me) and I found myself riding around and looking up to re-direct the light. Makes for a sore neck. The pattern would be great if I was riding singletrack but I do not intend on riding any of the trail (unless I'm in a situation where I'm in trouble) at night. I want to be able to see everything. If I hit fire roads at night and I'm in a groove then I'll for sure keep on going but then I won't really need a light up top for that. The light pattern when mounted on the bars is perfect for me.

I also picked up a new digital camera today. I got a Canon Powershot. It's ridiculously tiny. It was last years model so I got a smokin' deal on it and Heather (being the savy shopper she is) scored a coupon for an extra discount. I should be able to get some really good photos to share from the ride.

My other big purchase today was a SPOT. I'm super stoked about this thing because not only will it allow you, the people, to see how slowly I crawl my way south; it will also keep Heather from climbing the walls and wondering how I'm doing. The yearly rate to run this baby is 99 bones but just for you people...I'm gonna spring for the extra 49 bones so that my progress or lack thereof can be monitored by all on Google maps. Not quite sure how I'm gonna pull it off yet but I intend to have a link on here when I leave so that, if you want, you can check where I'm at every 10 minutes as the satelites update my whereabouts. You should even be able to switch to topographic maps and possibly determine whether I'm in a low lying area (possibly a ditch) or higher up. Some people that have used this device told me that they were able to secure a month to month deal on service but I was not so lucky. What's that about?

OK...I'm tired but I'm gonna stick to my training plan and cram in no less than 1 heaping bowl of ice cream. Then I'm gonna top it off with some strawberry shortcake. I'm sleeping outside under the stars tonight with the sleeping system that I will be using during the adventure. Can't wait. I hung out in it a bit this afternoon when it rained and it was the bees knees.

2 comments:

Pedal Brake Pedal by TK said...

that spot is awesome! i'm going to follow you the whole time!! you better not get off course, sucka!

Chris said...

The spot really is neat. I'm sending you an email with some further information on it too.