Monday, July 7, 2008

Secrets

Because this endurance stuff is completely new to me, I was a bit surprised to find out how many riders will not share information. I guess in cross country racing there really isn't too much going on other than training. The gear aspect is pretty minimal in comparison. I ask a lot of questions and I found that many riders were not open to sharing anything. Now I understand why. There is so much testing, modifying and starting over going on when it comes to packing gear, nutrition, sleeping, water treatment, etc. This has been a huge learning experience for me. I am now about 2 weeks away from the start and somehow I need to come up with some cash to make 3 more changes to my setup.
I've been guilty of keeping my sleeping system on the down low so far but I think I've got it nailed now. I've always been a tent sleeper and a bivy was the first option I considered. However, with the weather being so stormy last year, (it won't be that way AT ALL this year) I hesitated with it b/c I didn't want to sleep on the wet ground or wake up in a stream. I decided to go with a Hennessy Hammock. Many told me not to get it but I felt it was a good choice. I'll admit...the hammock has it's nuances and the first several times I slept in it, I went back in the house at 3 a.m. Now I've got it figured out and, with one more accessory on the way, I should sleep like a baby.
Water purification has been a huge issue. Iodine is light (I'm so thirsty I never notice the taste that others complain about). However...for reasons that I wont get into (it's a long explanantion) it's not gonna work. So now I'm gonna gave to go back to Mountain Chalet and beg Mike for a sizeable discount on either a Steri Pen or an MSR Miox unit. They're both small/no brainers and they easily take care of my long explanation issue.
The last issue that has popped up is with food carrying capacity. I gotta be able to carry more solid food. There are plenty of re-suppply points early on (Frisco, Copper Mountain, Leadville, BV). After BV, it's remote country. Between BV and Silverton is 200 miles of some of the slowest/toughest trail on the route. Here the trail climbs right about 22,000' of gain. There are miles and miles of trail here where walking slowly is the order of the day. It will take 2-3 days to get through this area. So...looks like I'll have to be extra complimentary to Mike when we walk past the backpack area.
That's about all that's going on up here. I've taken the last 2 days since I got back from the trail and been thinking. Thinking about my mistakes and how to avoid them. Thinking about how tough this is going to be. Wishing I had more time to prep. We've had horrible storms up here the last few days so I haven't ridden at all. Today I'll be riding my road bike in the rain. I'd like to get in another 6-8 hour ride on my mountain bike this week before I start with the shorter/more intense rides for next weeks final prep.

P.S. I stacked it hard on a flat turn that an un-coordinated 4 year old could have negotiated the other day in Segment 3. So whoever finds the free Oakleys on that turn...you're welcome. I know that's where they're at.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/StratosSeries/Stratos24/

or the 18

fit/ride well, light, lots of 'stuff' room for changing food load

Chris said...

I checked out one the other day but don't know which one. I'm going back tonight to sweet talk them into a deal I can't refuse.