Sunday, January 31, 2010

I said I was going to...

do more mountain biking this year. Today I wanted to check out some of the Colorado Trail. I knew most of it would have snow but thought section 2 would be my best shot. I started and things looked pretty good although it was chilly.


On the right you can see what the north facing slopes look like and I was about to get into them.

I ended up doing this for a long time. This isn't even that bad yet. After rounding this little point, I pushed for miles. Disappointed, I thought I might be able to salvage the day by making it through this section and then taking the road back to Deckers and then another 10 miles back to the van. After almost 2 hours of post-holing in the snow, and 2 stops to take off both brake calipers, remove the pads, and then push the pistons back in and reinstall everything, I decided it might not be a good idea to push on any more since I didn't bring my emergency bivy. I did pass some snowshoers on the way out. Judging by their dropped jaws, I'm guessing they must have thought there was something wrong with me.

No comments: