Friday, January 22, 2010

The Fabled Unicorn??

So today I heard what I believed to be a very long tale. It involved rainbow trout in the 22" range living in some seriously skinny water in a creek down in Manitou Springs (Fountain Creek). Immediately I bent an ear. Anytime you can hook into something that big in ribbon water, its guaranteed fun. I was more than skeptical. I do know that the city and Trout Unlimited have talked about trying to restore that particular watershed. However, there are so many homeless people living along that creek and I know that defecation, and pollution are a huge concern. I can't imagine investing the dough for trout when keeping it clean would be impossible. But...I know both of these guys and their respectable guides. It was kinda like overhearing someone talk about a sure thing at the track. You don't ask questions. You just grab money and get to the OTB. So...I had an errand to run down the mountain after school anyways so I decided to check it out. I knew precisely where they were talking about. I went there, parked and started walking the creek. I didn't see anything and spotting even an 18" sucker in a small creek can be done at midnight. Granted, there was some shelves of ice along both banks but I also banged around on them a lot to try and see if anything came out. Notta.

Personally, that area doesn't hold a candle to the water I usually target but something new is always cool. I'm calling BS.

No comments: