Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I came home to let the dogs out at lunch and found what appeared to be a frame box on my front porch. I opened it up and was delighted to find a really cool Orbea Lobular. I first saw this frame when I went back to STL for Gateway Cup. Dan Schmatz was riding it and although I did consider stealing it from him while he was in the midst of changing, I reconsidered. I'm pretty sure I remember getting my ass kicked by Dan back in the high school wrestling days and it wasn't a good time. Besides...it was damn hot that day. Too hot for fist to cuffs.

Dan retired from BMC last year and I was pretty excited to have his frame built up as my spare bike. It's kind of like those thoroughbred horses that retire to a farm after winning some prestigious derby races. That thing was gonna spend the rest of it's days on liesurely rides in the mountains and taking in all the fresh air that life has to offer. I'd talk to it and generally just frolic about on it. After being put through it's paces by him, this was gonna be a picnic. However...I'm afraid it was not to be. It's just a bit too small. Top tube is 54 and I really gotsta stretch myself out on a 56. I'm not happy about this at all. Dan...I'll call ya when/if I find my phone again.

No comments: