Saturday, December 20, 2008

Food in the yard???????

Let's devote some time to this one. It is not uncommon during the spring and fall when the bears are super hungry to see loads of trash cans all througout our fair city ransacked. It's irresponsible. I love the fact that Telluride and Crested Butte and other mountain towns make it a point to utilize bear proof trash containers not only in town but that they also require residents to do so and they cite the ones that don't. I've considered having my students write persuasive letters to the city about this issue but I can see where I'd get a talking to about it. One of the things I like best about living up here is the fact that I see so much wildlife right in the front yard. That's greatly impacted by everyone's actions though. Nuasance bears are created by the actions of us. My neighbor not only throws his scrap food in the front yard but he also keeps his trash on the front porch in a plastic bag. Use the friggin' garage and put the trash out the morning of pick up, get creative and make a secure location for the trash cans or invest in bear proof ones for cryin' out loud.

I think I'm feeling frisky today. Time to go walk my dogs and terrorize the town folk.

No comments: