Thursday, May 22, 2008

When it rains up here in the mountains it is mighty cold water. So I was a little concerned about keeping my hands warm in a downpour. I suppose I could just stop riding but I'm only planning on going that route if I see lightning and then I'll just find a hole to crawl into and cry real loudly. So I found these gloves from Specialized and they should do the trick. They use wet suit technology and I just tried them out in a sink full of water and couldn't feel a drop. I guess they were designed to be used by all the Euro Pros doing battle in the always nasty/cold spring classics of Belgium. I suppose if they're good enough for Tom Boonen, they'll work fine for a knucklehead like me. Not too shabby for just under 40 bones.



I had to re-wrap the handlebars on my road bike last night. I used some Cinelli gel impregnated cork tape on them and really wasn't thrilled with the stuff. That tape does not have the adhesive back that they use on the regular cork tape and so they came unravelled after only a month. So once I got the Cannondale squared away I looked over at the Alma and the Ergon grips I'm using. I really like the Ergons as they help keep the pressure off the nerves in my hands. Even after 4 or 5 hours of mountain biking, my right hand feels great but I still have a bit of trouble with the left hand tingling. So I wrapped the Ergons in the gel tape and I think it'll make a big difference. For this application, the gel tape was perfect b/c I could really stretch the snot out of it to get it to conform to the funky shape of the grips.

3 comments:

Jeff Kerkove said...

You need Ergon grips. Specifically, the GR2.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Jeff is so busy selling grips and riding that he doesn't even have time to read. He just scans pictures.

Thanks for all your help/advice Jeff.

Anonymous said...

What the hell are you doing up at 5:49 in the morning on a Saturday?