Friday, May 23, 2008

School's out

My districts last day for teachers was today. So now I'll have loads of time to ramp things up quite a bit. 350 miles are planned for this week. I hope the weather doesn't make it any harder than it needs to be. It's always weird at this time of year. We'll get 30 minutes of snow, followed by sunshine followed by cold rain then more sun and some sleet or hail and then more sun before the cycle repeats. That's the way it's been for the last 2 days with temps fluctuating anywhere from mid 30's to mid 50's.
Super pumped that school's out. Honestly...this is the most fun I've had teaching in my 9 year career and I owe that to a bunch of 6th graders and their parents. My students really made me want to come to work each day this year. Sometimes they were a pain but...they're 6th graders and that's their job but, overall, they worked their tails off for me and made some serious progress. Transitioning to middle school is hard not only for students but also for parents. I hadn't taught this grade before and I was shocked at how stressed the parents were back in August. It's so awesome to have parents that actually give a crap about their kids. I know some of my students and their parents will read this so I just want to publily thank each and every one of you for making my job so much fun this year. I'm really looking forward to following this caseload through middle school and then watching them move on to high school. You're all incredible. I also want to thank the 2 para-educators that work very closely with me. They've been with me for 3 years now and, normally I don't trust others when it comes to my caseload. However...these 2 are the best I've ever worked with (and I've had a lot of them). I trust them completely. One of them (Sharon) will be missed dearly but she is finally going to step foot into her own classroom this fall. I wish you the best Sharon...you'll be excellent. Shelly...what can I say...you're stuck with me.

As I make my way towards Durango, I'll be picking up all the good vibes that I know you all will be sending.

No comments: