Thursday, February 17, 2011

My neck

I went to the Chiropractor on Monday. I was a nervous wreck. I had visions of things being worse or coming out paralyzed. Everyone I talked to about this had a different opinion. I decided to check out one guy in town that was highly recommended. I went over to talk to him and hear what he had to say. He wanted to do x-rays before touching anything which I thought was good. So after shooting some film, he explained what he saw. There are 2 spots where the area between vertebrae has decreased. I guess vertebrae are also squared off in shape mostly but the three in that area have developed some significant edges and points on them. All of this indicated some decent trauma that, if left untreated, would likely (he said) manifest into some type of arthritis. My range of motion is decreased and obviously I'm in pain. I felt marginally comfortable with him working on me but I did tell him that I would probably take a swing if he hurt me. He put me on a table and gently worked my neck and explained what he was doing and then......CRACK! I was stunned. It didn't hurt but it definitely startled me. Then he did the same thing the other way. It did not seem like my neck should have moved that way. Then he worked my upper back a bit. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes. I'm icing it pretty regularly now and doing some stretches. He did all this again on Wednesday and I've gotta see him twice next week. Things do feel better but it's still real tight when I go to look to my right if I'm gonna change lanes. It has been an interesting experience. The next time a 5 year old bets that I can't do something I'll probably pass on it.

In other news...a co-worker told me today that some female students mentioned that they thought I was good looking when I interrupted their class. Well...a group of them did. Apparently there was one female student though that said, "No he's not. He's like....40 and....bald." This comment made the teacher spit water on her computer and it provided many teachers with a laugh. By the end of the day I had random staff members telling me to remember to take my vitamins or have my Metamucil. Pretty damn funny. My wife even laughed at me when I told her the story. Kids these days.

No comments: