Sunday, March 14, 2010

Brutal

Last night was ruff and I wasn't even out drinking until the wee hours of the morning. Instead...Bodhi was up all night with the runs. Heather and I got back from dinner and the house wreaked from his butt. I let him out 3 times and was terrified to go to sleep because I knew he'd lose control of his bowels at some point. This is a dog that will bark at a pine needle in the driveway that's not even moving. Yet...he can't give me a whine at 3 a.m. when he's got a case of the squirts. I don't even remember what time it was when I jumped out of bed after hearing SOMETHING. After a quick smell, it turned out to be a brown mess on Heather's new white sweater.

I'm normally pretty eager to get out on the river but I was pretty darn happy to get a call from Scott this morning saying that he was running late and that I could get another hour of sleep. I finally got to the river at 11. It was cold to say the least. Easily in the 20's with winds gusting hard. It was one of those South Park days where you gotta try and remember which way the river's flowing. I climbed in the back of the van for what could be one of the last times and sat there drinking warm coffee watching these knuckleheads dress outside.


Scott got there shortly afterwards and we headed out just as the storm was blowing in. I haven't fished the Dream Stream in a long time. This section of the South Platte is tough. Always windy as hell and the fish are big, strong, and smart. The water flows are a bit low for the this time of year and with the overcast skies, and wind making the surface rough we knew today was gonna be hard. This time of the year the fish typically stack up in the deeper pools. I HATE fishing when I can't sight cast to trout but today I was having to fish water that just looked fishy.

You can see the seam right down the middle of this run where the faster water meets the slower water. Perfect spot for a cast.

Scott had the hot hand today. Not only did he catch the smallest trout of his life but he also caught this super nice Snake River Cutt out of a hole that looked marginally fishy. Nice work Scott!

No comments: