Sunday, February 28, 2010

Knowledge

A lot of endurance racers can be secretive about their setup. I gasp when I think back to what I used to have over in the "necessary" pile compared to what's there now. Since a lot of people aren't willing to lay out there pile of gear and take a picture, you have to get good at getting information from gleening over pictures or asking round about questions.

I stole these pics from Jay Petervary's blog. He and his wife are somewhere along the trail in Alaska right now. Hopefully warm, full and safe. Jay's pretty methodical about his gear and he's always been very nice about answering my questions. Obviously, the Ultra Sport is another beast entirely and just the foot gear alone proves that. Jay uses the Lake winter shoe, with a full neoprene bootie and some creative insulation down inside a gaiter. Below you can see that he screws the gaiter to the bottom of the shoe and also uses liberal amounts of seam sealer before letting it all set up.



He says they're a total pain to get into but worth the effort and completely waterproof.



Cold feet out there could easily mean death.


One day after I finish up some other stuff I'd like to think I could line up for that but I bet training for it in St. Louis would require some creativity.

No comments: