Saturday, February 13, 2010

Crazy Germans

I'm hoping that I have solved the issue with the van. Well...solved is probably not the right term. I've said it before...the fuel tank system on this thing is absurdly over engineered. The tank itself is composed of 2 halves so it essentially has a massive depression that runs from front to back right down the middle of the tank. Now the sending unit for the gauge is on the drivers half. The supply line exits the rear most corner of the tank on the passenger half and then the fuel line runs along the "frame rail". Essentially there's a tube welded into that corner and as it leaves the tank, fuel hose connects to it and then makes its way to the filter and then pump. Back on the inside of the tank, this same metal tube protrudes maybe 4" in. Then there is a rubber hose that's probably 10" that connects to that and then makes its way to the center of the tank to a pickup. I think that this hose is deteriorated enough that it's causing these issues when the fuel level is low. It's basically like trying to drink through a straw that is cracked in the middle. The bad news is that you'd have to be able to remove the sending unit from the tank and then get your hand in there (or the freakishly long hand of a 3 year old) to replace that section of hose. Not happening. I suppose I could find another tank but then you still have to hassle with dropping the tank. I've already done that once in this thing and it is not a fun time. I will probably just end up not letting it go below half a tank. Very frustrating indeed. This is the kind of stuff that I'm getting tired of dealing with. Even if I replaced the motor, I'd still have to mess with it.

No comments: