Saturday, July 11, 2009

Road trip

We headed out for a few days and made our way over to one of my top three favorite places in Colorado. The Gunnison Valley. Normally we camp somewhere just below the dam on the Taylor Reservoir. This is a catch and release section and it's home to some of the biggest trout in the entire state. It is not uncommon to sight cast to browns, bows, and some cutts that are in the 10lbs+ range all day long. They are the smartest trout I've fished for but the most beautiful. The Taylor has a freshwater shrimp called a mysis and it's the reason why the trout are so big and also the reason why they are so lit up in color. Anyway....I could go on and on about that mile or so of water. Below that section there is a lengthy private stretch that I've heard is owned by a lot of wealthy doctors and lawyers from Texas. Eventually the Taylor meanders down and becomes public again. The trout are typically smaller downstream but certainly plentiful and more than eager to take your fly.

The ride over was uneventful really. The van did well but the motor is extremely underpowered for the mountain passes. We went over Cottonwood just west of Buena Vista and I actually had to drive the last 4 miles or so in second gear just to maintain about 4k rpm's which is where that motor is happiest. Plenty of time to take in the sights. Here Bodhi is wondering if we're almost there yet?



I think I can I think I can...


Slogging up the Pass. We've gotten so much rain this spring that Colorado is greener than I've ever seen it. I'm amazed at how much ground foliage has popped up.


This is on top of Cottonwood Pass.

Still decent snow drifts/fields up top.


It was a super fun trip. The van is so much more comfortable to camp in than a tent. Unfortunately I need to track down some issues with it today. I pulled in the driveway last night and went back out later to notice a puddle of coolant/oil under the bellhousing. The Waterboxer motor is a strange one. There is only one place where there could be a transfer of these fluids. After looking into it last night for a few minutes (checking the dipstick and coolant reservoir which turned out fine) I honestly think I may be dealing with 2 separate leaks that appear to be mixing. I'll know more today and whether or not I'll be pullnig a motor anytime soon.

2 comments:

Dan Schmatz said...

Whats happening with the chain length on your bike?

Chris said...

It's a little something new I'm working on.

Actually I cut the chain a link short like a year ago and in that picture it's in the second cog and that's all she's got.

I could come up that way and make yours just like it.