Monday, September 26, 2011

At the end of the Rainbow

This is probably my favorite time of the year. The Aspens change. The air starts to get cooler. The Elk rut and bugle. The Brown trout spawn. We've had snow in the surrounding hills for weeks now and it looks amazing. I'm not doing much riding right now at all. I'm not sure what's going on with that whole area.


I have been back on the water a lot again and that feels good. Things are coming back really quickly. Yesterday I fished back up at Spinney Ranch. That's one of the more technical spots in Colorado. There are no gifts and many people get skunked there. Yesterday I caught all Rainbows. I worked this one for a solid 20 minutes with a 2 fly nymph rig. I changed the bottom fly 4 times and then this one decided, for whatever reason, to smash the lead fly which it had already seen a hundred times and probably been hit in the head with a dozen times. Trout always amaze me. If you look closely, you can see a tiny little midge fly on the upper left side of the mouth. I noticed it right after this pic and decided to remove the piercing.

I probably caught 10 of these guys today. Eager little beavers they are. It's always nice to catch any trout but these boogers would rush in and take the fly right before it got to the bigger fish that I was actually targeting, and thus, ruining the hole.

This fish was hungry. It inhaled a Black Beauty on the first drift.

Most of the bigger fish I landed today were 14 with one flirting with 16. I did see several fish in the 18-20 range and one was laid right up on the bank. As soon as I saw it I dropped to my knees behind the tall grass and watched for 5 minutes to make sure it was feeding. It was. Then I decided to take a crack at it. I had to raise the rod up a bit to unhook the flies and I got busted. Truly amazing.


As much as I love catching big fish, I need to start to getting some flies lined up for a little trip I'm taking here real soon. The fish will be smaller but they are stunning. Almost like holding a wet painting in your hand.

No comments: