Sunday, September 11, 2011

The bears are HUNGRY right now!

It's a mad dash to put on some pounds before a long nap. We're seeing a lot of bears in town right now. On my way out this morning, I passed one of the Mexican restaurants by the house (not Casa Grande...the only time I've been there was when I promptly left after finding a hair in my beer). It's the other one. The name slips me right now. It doesn't look like much from the outside but they can burn it up in the kitchen. Anyways...one of their dumpsters has a wooden fence around it (more decorative really) but it was destroyed. It took me a second to realize that the dumpster was actually on it's side too so they weren't messing around last night. There's another restaurant in town that's got wonderful food. It's a bit pricey but it's a real treat to go there once in a while. It's the Swiss Chalet. I happen to know the owners and I ran into her the other day. She serves on the Chamber of Commerce and I wanted to ask her who I could contact to talk about trash containers and bears in our fair city. She happened to have a video camera with her and showed me footage from the day before of a big boar that was in the process of getting into their dumpster. I asked why the dumpster wasn't bear proof. She smiled and said, "It is". It's pretty impressive to see the damage even the small bears can cause. She said they've built the fence around their dumpster several times now and they just keep ripping it down. The metal rods that run across the top of the lids just don't hold up either. I watched the video as he bent that rod and flipped up the lid and slid on in as the lid closed behind him. I'd hate to open up that thing while taking the trash out after my shift and find him sitting in there.

No comments: