Friday, September 23, 2011

My job....

is nuthin' but work so far this year!! I decided to reward myself with a trip to the river tonight. I'm so glad I went. It was stunningly beautiful. It's hard to tell in this picture but you can see where the water flows together more towards the right bank. This is a deeper pool that was really nice. The rest of that water is 6-8". Things are starting to pick up and some bigger fish are moving up from the reservoir below and gearing up for the fall spawn.


Those that have ever fished with me out here know that I DO NOT stay in one place long. I cover lot's of ground and I move quickly. I am constantly scanning and looking for fish that are feeding. If I see something and it's not feeding, I don't waste time casting. A lot of guys will fish holes that simply look "fishy" but I normally don't do that. Tonight I came across a nice spot and decided to give it a go. I pulled this beauty out on the second drift through. This is a cross between a Cutthroat and a Rainbow Trout. It's a Cutt Bow. They still have the red and purple colors that a Rainbow has but the background is real dark versus the silver and green you see on Bows. The tell tale sign of the Cutt is just below the jaw. You can see a noticeable orange slash on both sides. Looks exactly like someone slit it's throat.

I was a little worried about his one. She took a solid 5 minutes to revive and then I watched her for another 10 minutes to make sure she was gonna make it.



Horrible crowds.

No comments: