Saturday, September 17, 2011

Vehicles

I've had Cherokees longer than any other vehicle. It seems that every car manufacturer always has some repair specific to it. Every vehicle eventually needs brakes. I'm talking about odd ball kinda stuff. Eventually, every Cherokee has to have a new section of wiring spliced into the harness where it passes through the A Pillar because the door speakers and power windows stop working. They made the wires a tad short from the factory and the wire breaks at some point. Today I found out one of the repairs that is specific to the Subaru Impreza. God awful noisy swaybar bushings and end links. When loose, or dry or worn, they make a clunk sound that is EXACTLY like you'd hear on a VW, Audi, or Subie that had a bad upper strut bearing or top hat. The suspension on this car was bought brand new so I knew it wasn't that or a blown strut. So this morning I went to pull the entire sway bar off and go for a drive. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway I knew I found the culprit. The end links and bushing inside them looked fine. I pulled off the swaybar bushing themselves and they looked fine too. I lubed them liberally and threw em back on and torqued everything to spec. Done. Clunk gone. I hadn't realized how loud and often it did it until now. Supa quiet again. Worst part of the job was dropping the sub-frame but it was still a fun job.

No comments: