Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Things are pretty tricky at work right now. I think everyone is feeling the budget cuts and the stress of larger classrooms, being asked to do more for the same pay, etc. I'm trying to use it a learning experience. Even though I'm pretty cooked when I get home, I'm also trying to get out as much as I can in the evenings and enjoy the outdoors. The Crested Butte Classic is less than 2 weeks away now and I'm super excited to ride over there and see some old friends and enjoy the beautiful scenery and changing Aspens. Tonight I decided to get out for some singletrack. I drove up to Rampart and did a lap around the reservoir. I saw NO ONE. It was just me and Nickelback. It wasn't long at all before I was ear to ear.

I spied this small herd of Elk hiding in the trees. There's a lone one just coming up the hillside and the rest were bedded down by the Aspens on the right. Gorgeous.

I love this time of year. The evening light, colorful trees, leaves on the ground, cool air.

I hadn't been up here probably since just before I was supposed to start the CTR. The trail was in excellent shape the last time I rode it but tonight it was difficult. There has been tons of erosion from all the rain. This hill used to be rideable but the ditch down the middle now is a foot deep. The entire trail was really loose and rocks that were sticking up a foot back then are now up a foot and a half. The trail was really different. It felt like I hadn't ridden there in 10 years.

I usually ride this loop clockwise and the end of the 13 miles runs right in those Aspens not far from the shore.

It was unreal how much the water level has dropped since August. That boulder on the right was damn near submerged back then.

No comments: