Monday, September 14, 2009

Moab Weekend

What a cool weekend with cool people in Moab! The desert was beautiful. I felt great while riding and sticking to my diet seemed to make a big difference. What also made a big difference was the fact that I had never been to Moab. Getting there late at night and starting at 5 in the morning didn't give me any visual references to associate with the map and this would be a problem later.

Fred really knows how to string together a tough day on the bike. There was tons of climbing. I couldn't believe how long it took (over 10 hours) to hit the 45 mile mark. I got lost numerous times and while it was frustrating, it wasn't anyones fault and there couldn't have been a more perfect day to be out on the bike. The temps were great and there was no rain. The first time I got lost I ended up taking a snooze and waiting for people that knew the area better.

Once I got back on track, I proceeded to get lost again about 2-3 hours later. It was unbelievable. Towards the end of the day I did begin to get concerned because I was making some really dumb mistakes and I kinda got down on myself. It was clear that I was not going to be able to make the entire loop that Fred laid out for us. While the trails I did see were gorgeous, I was really looking forward to riding Porcupine Rim and seeing all the rock formations. I finally made the call to head the 24 miles back to town on pavement and take a shower and get a Coke. When I finally made it, I found out that some of the others had gotten lost as well. We all sat around Paradox and talked about the day. It was so much fun to ride with the guys. A good group for sure.

Marshal and I headed back to Colorado Sunday morning and he asked if I wanted to hit up the Kokopelli Trail near Loma. I'd never ridden it before and it was some of the best singletrack I've been on in a while. Not a bad way to spend the weekend.

1 comment:

MoabUtah said...

Nice story, I love when Moab inspires athletes and the relaxation is this apparent.
Keep riding!