Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pretty well set

Well I thought I had an issue with my front Carousel Design bag but then Jeff helped me pull my head outta my rear and get it sorted. It's perfect now (the issue was operator malfunction) and it's also loaded up like it will be for the journey. This is pretty much how it's gonna roll. I will also have a backpack where I'll carry the water and some other smaller things. Bike was right at 24.5 lbs. by itself and I haven't weighed the whole shabang yet but I will today. I will say it's a tad heavier than I wanted it to be but the entire rear bag only contains 2 components of my diet that I really don't think I wanna live without. The plus side is that bag will get lighter after every 5 hours and noticably so after each 24 hour period. I've also included enough nutrition to actually last me 6 days in case there's a problem. If I'm on schedule...great...the extra days worth of nutrition will come in really handy when I'm getting through the San Jauns and there's no place to stop for food at all. Originally I planned on not relying on the food in that bag at all during the first 2 days but now I will be able to and keep rolling. I know some will ride 100 miles on gas station hot dogs and Cheetos but I'm not planning on having to stop at all. Unless I come across ice cream and then all bets are off.



This morning I received my lights. After debating back and forth between 2 different manufacturers, I opted for the Dinotte brand. I probably could have gotten lights cheaper through Ghisallo but I really like these. I had a hard time getting info. from the other company and Rob from Dinotte was super about getting back to me and answering all my questions so I shelled out full retail clams. These things are crazy small and light weight. They put out 200 lumens a piece. I will mount one on the bar and the other on the helmet.


Right now I'm running the battery pack on the side of the downtube b/c I don't like putting the wide velcro strap around the top tube for fear that it might impact shifting but I'll play with it.

No comments: