Monday, June 9, 2008

I goofed around on Ring the Peak again today. I started at Horsethief and worked my way down towards Chipita Park. Instead of going down the hike a bike into Chipita, I decided to take the trail that forks to the right. It has some killer singletrack that winds through a meadow and it's bermed on the edges so you can just rail it. It put me on Pikes Peak highway maybe 3 miles up from the pay booth. When I got to the booth, I was waved over by several rangers. They wanted to know where I came from. It was a great opportunity for a one liner but I could tell they were upset about something. So I told them the truth and they didn't buy it. I explained in more detail before they told me that bikes were not allowed in the area. I apologized but they didn't seem satisfied. They threatened to issue me a ticket. I'm not a person that enters areas that are marked "No Trespassing". I take that kind of thing very seriously. After we discussed it further, one ranger finally figured out the fork that I was talking about. He knew that it was not marked in any way and just told me to not do it again. Surely I'm not the first person to take that fork in the trail. Despite the misunderstanding, it was still a sweet day on the trail.

No comments: