Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm constantly trying to find different rides to keep me interested and today I started under mostly sunny conditions and climbed my way up to Rampart Range road. As soon as I got to the top I heard the dreaded thunder. I know I'm going to have to man up during the race and deal with Ma Nature so I kept going. It's amazing how the threat of 121 jigowatts of electricity can put a little extra pep in your step. It rained the whole way to Monument but I got to test out my rain gear. I made it to Monument in 1.5 hours. Once there I stopped for some food and then got moving again.

I rode all the way back to Colorado Springs on the Santa Fe trail. For those back home...it's reminiscent of the Katy Trail but without the messy chat rock. As I neared the Springs, I had to dodge the occasional homeless person that had set up camp on the trail. Then I hit highway 24 and started the climb back up the mountain to the mother ship. Unfortunately, I hit the Pass right about rush hour and the lower portion of it is a bit sketchy that time of day. Wouldn't you know it...my bride to be was on her way back from running errands and honked at me just as I was at Cave of the Winds. There was a brutal headwind so I gladly got in the car and blamed it on the traffic. I got a ride up the hill for 5ish miles or so until the town of Cascade. She dropped me off there and I started up again. I was so tired of the wind and, I'll admit it...I did curse randomly.

I've been hitting it pretty hard this week and I was just about blown to bits so I had to stop. I whipped up a liquid meal and recouped a bit. 15 minutes later I was ready to roll. Unfortunately the Alma wasn't. I was on a flat. Now...someone...I'll leT that remain under locK and key...was just talking about how good I have it in that department. I never flat. I blame the stupid thorn on bad mojo. After it was fixed I hustled back up the mountain.

The ride ended up being 53 miles and the time was 4:21. That's 20 hours of riding in 6 days.

No comments: