Thursday, December 29, 2011

I've been getting Physical Therapy on my neck for about 3 weeks from Cameron over at Colorado Sports and Spine Centers. I really like him and trust him when he's got his hands around my neck. So far he's been doing some manipulation of the spine in the neck and then having me stretch the scalene muscles every day to try and get some of my pathetic range of motion back. I'm also paying a lot more attention to my overall posture. There does appear to be an issue with one of the vertebrae as well as the first rib that was probably harmed during the dreaded accident. The pain is still incredibly uncomfortable and it really has me worried. This is truly impacting my quality of life. I'm so excited about my new bike and the places it will take me this year and the things I'll see but, right now, on most days the pain is too much to even ride at all. I have a really great offer to take part in a trip right after school gets out through the desert of the southwest but it will require over a week of 16 hour days and a very long hike a bike section with a bike lashed to my pack. I've analyzed that route for years now. There's always that stupid Colorado Trail thing that haunts me that I intend on tackling this year either totally on my own or with the grand depart in August. Then there's that ride along the Divide that I wanted to do next year for my 40th birthday present to myself. It seems that now, more than ever, I seem to be less concerned with racing and more about seeing what's around me. Physical fitness is not what's ever stopped me from completing that one trail. I believe it's that I'm lacking in what Matt Lee calls the "ST" (Suffering Threshold) department. In order to do any riding at all right now, I am going to have to just deal with the increased pain that comes from doing one of the things I love the most.

No comments: