Sunday, November 2, 2008

More fishing

The last 2 weeks have been really stressful around here. Work has been full of drama from adults that think THEY'RE the ones in middle school. In addition to that Heather and I have had our hands/minds full once we're done with work. I should have have spent the day doing grad school stuff but Heather told me to go fishing with my buddy Scott. He lives in Denver and we don't get out as much as we'd like and I really enjoy fishing with someone else that's got the fever as bad as I do. So we met up for several hours today. The winds were in full force so it made things interesting but we still had fun. After hours of changing things up and missing 2 fish, Scott finally got into a decent rainbow. She was good for 19". I goofed around a bit chasing trout and then switched things up and actually got into 2 northern pike. I have never caught a pike before so I was pretty excited. Pike, however, are not my favorite. They compete with trout and will actually prey upon them. In recent years, they've caused a marked decline in the trout population on one reservoir so the DOW wants them killed. I've seen pike go for baby ducks. They are nasty fish with a bad temper. The ones I caught were small and hardly even worthy of making a sandwich. They're only good for throwing at a rock and being eaten by the gulls. Hardly even photo worthy.

On the way home, I saw countless mule deer (2 really nice bucks), a herd of antelope that I was able to get in pretty close to (the buck shown would have been a perfect shot the way he's quartered away) and a nice herd of elk. It was good to get out and seeing wildlife never gets old for me.








No comments: