Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Big boy

Fatty McFatpants gained just under five pounds since we brought him home. Heather and I have been trying to whip his ass into shape this week since we're both off work. There's been loads of crate training, potty training, and basic obedience. He's got the SIT down already. He's gonna be a Grand Champion. Dharma was/is good but Bodhisattva is on the path of awakening. He will labor and sacrifice for the benefit of other beings. It aint gonna be easy though. The little bastard just doesn't back down. It's now the start of the 4th round in a scheduled for 10 round fight. Bodhi is up against the ropes and there's a cut above the right eye. He's goin' down.

Surprisingly, I'm holding up pretty well. I'm hitting the weights hard for a bit of cross training. We've been walking the dogs about 3 miles each day and then I'm working with Bodhi on obedience. I'm usually getting in a 2 hour ride in the afternoons. Today as we were working in town, some cheeseball and his 2 very little children approached and the guy actually gathered his kids and informed them that this dog was very mean and they went well out of the way. I missed it as I was paying attention to Bodhi and correcting his endless shenanigans but Heather told me about it later. She usually tells me these things well after the fact because she knows I can't resist engaging with ignorant people on this particular topic. I'm not sure why, but I always feel it's necessary to at least try to get folks to see things from my perspective after hearing theirs. It's been a while for me. The last debate took place in the North Face store atop the mountain village in Telluride a few years back after he said, "All those dogs should be killed". I found it amussing that my dog never left the heel position while his bratty ass kids ran around the store grabbing everything in sight. Normally I don't get into it with anyone but I'm really passionate about my dogs and breed specific legislation in general. I enjoy healthy discussion about bully breeds (and well adjusted DOGS vs. DOGS that aren't) but when someone is that uneducated it truly saddens me. Particularly when they're raising young people. Let me climb off my soapbox.

Here's some worn out and extremely aggressive dogs:




No comments: