Saturday, October 10, 2009

A look in my box



I recently received an email from a guy in Tierra del Fuego that wanted to know what kind of flies I use on the South Platte. Well....under normal circumstances this kind of request would simply not be tolerated. However, I just happened to glance in this box that I damn near always have with me. It's kind of like a Major League baseball manager looking to the bullpen and trying to figure out who's gettin' the nod. Right away I know that I'll be using an egg pattern as my lead fly tomorrow and dropping one of my favorite flies for this time of year off it; a #20 Buckskin. The Buckskin and other small aquatic worms are great flies during the spawn. The egg pattern gets their attention and, while some take it, others leave it but the small worms eat the eggs and so they really piss off the territorial trout and don't stand much of a chance.

So there you have it man. And when I'm looking in any of my boxes (no exception tonight) it's nice to drink great beer. Tonight I'm enjoying an Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith.

No comments: