Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The fishing over the weekend was outstanding. I did manage to get a few pics with my camera but it acts up quite often since it got dunked and right now I can't get them downloaded. I started fishing at about noon on Saturday and caught 15 or so fish that were all this size and either cutts, bows or cutt bows. We took a beer break at about 5 and ate some food. Once everyone got off the water at dark we went back out with big streamers and headlamps. We saw some really nice fish and were out until about 9 before the rod guides started to ice up too much to cast. Scott and Steve were going to camp but I didn't feel like heading down the road and paying for a site when I can sleep anywhere in my bitchin' van for free. So...we all piled into it and drank beer and laughed the night away. We got up in the morning and ate some breakfast before heading out for another long day. What a weekend.

This was just one of the beauties that I was fortunate enough to land. These fish were angry about being hooked and I lost count of how many broke off. This is a Snake River Cutthroat by the way.


This is a nice one that Scott landed.


I just love the way this pic turned out. Fooling a trout into taking your fly, watching it actually open it's mouth and gulp it, are both fantastic. However...for me...the coolest part of the entire experience is the release. You can't just let the trout go in the water and watch it swim off. The fish needs you now and that part of it just gets me every time. You have to revive each fish. Eventually...the fish lets you kow when it's ready to go and it gently glides out of your hands and back into the depths of the water. I love the moment when it gently wags its tail and I get to watch it swim away while I'm crouched down in the water. Even in the dead of winter when the water is so cold it stings it's just part of the process. I know the hook hurts so it's only fair that I keep my hands in that water for as long as necessary. After all...if I don't...that fish might not live to be caught again. For a fly fisherman, there's nothing more heart breaking than watching a gorgeous trout that just gave so much pleasure and magic sink slowly to the bottom and start to get washed downstream when it's not ready to go yet.

No comments: