Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cranky

These XTR 960 cranks arrived today. These were purchased for a bike build that I've had dancing around my head for several months now. I bought them strictly to run singlespeed. The previous owner had done a decent job of polishing them but then I got hold of a hacksaw.


I lopped off what I didn't want.

Then I spent the rest of the day with a file and sandpaper. There were a few deeper gouges that I wanted to get rid of. Because of their location, these were quite tricky.


I was pretty happy with the top 2 arms here. The lowers were a real good time (especially the inside where they meet up with the crank arm). I spent a good hour with some 150 grit sandpaper getting out all of the deeper imperfections and I'm almost there now but decided to take a break. I've always thought these were the sharpest set of cranks. Ever. They will look stunning with a Blackspire ring. I'm hoping I can unload my Cannondale road bike and come up with the frame/fork that I want to run but we'll see if it's meant to be. I'll post more pics of the cranks as I work.

No comments: